Timeline of the LV18 lightvessel

  • 1958 Launched at the yard of Philip & Son Ltd, Dartmouth, delivered to Trinity House and placed on station at Saint Gowan, off the coast of Cornwall.
  • 1960s Served at various stations around the coast with a regular crew of nine people.
  • 1970s Major refit, including the removal of the mizzen mast and addition of a helideck for helicopter transfers of crews.
  • 1970s Deployed at final station at Dowsing, off the coast of East Anglia.
  • 1994 Retired from service by Trinity House and used as an Offshore Support Vessel and storage facility for light vessel parts. Moored on the River Stour at Harwich.
  • 1997 Sold to Sea Containers Ltd (Operators of Parkeston Quay ferry terminal).
  • 1999 Chartered to Tony O'Neil for restoration and first used as a mother ship for revival broadcasts of offshore radio, including Radio North Sea International off Clacton.
  • 2000 Radio Caroline, for one month off Harwich.
  • 2001 Radio Mi Amigo off Harwich.
  • 2002 Radio Mi Amigo and Harwich Community Radio.
  • 2002 Pharos Trust established as a charity to own, preserve and exhibit LV18.
  • 2004 BBC Radio Pirate Radio Essex, off Harwich.
  • 2007 BBC Radio Pirate Radio Essex, off Harwich.
  • 2008 Radio Sunshine, The Boat That Rocked movie.
  • 2009 BBC Pirate Radio Essex, Harwich Ha’penny Pier.
  • 2011 Opened as permanent visitor attraction on Harwich Quay.